Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Olympic Trials

The Olympic Trials were held last week in Hobart from the 11th to the 13th. It was a very stressful, cut throat and drama filled weekend.
Friday morning Sharleen Stratton and I competed in the Women’s 3m Synchronised event. We were the only female pair (we like to think we scared all the other girls away), however we still needed to score over 285 points which we did comfortably, as we scored 314.40 points. Sharleen and I are very proud of our almost 3 year run of being unbeaten in Australia in this event, and holding the Australian record.

Friday afternoon Melissa Wu and I competed in the Women’s 10m Synchronised event. There were two pairs competing for one Olympic spot. The other pair was Chantelle Newbery (Olympic Gold Medallist) and Loudy Wiggins (Olympic Bronze Medallist), so some very tough competition. It was a very nerve racking competition, and the scores were very close. After four out of the five rounds of competition Melissa and I were winning by only 0.21 points. Melissa and I did a great Back 2 ½ somersaults with 1 ½ twists to win the competition by 7.35 points.

On the Saturday I competed in the Women’s 3m event. I felt quite relaxed going into this event as I had already performed well in my two favourite events. I had a very good preliminary competition scoring 342 points which is a personal best score for me. My semi finals and finals weren’t quite as good as my preliminaries, in the end I finished 3rd behind Sharleen and Chantelle. I was very happy with my forwards 3 ½ somersault tuck, I scored 9.5’s and 10’s!
The selection policy for the Australian Diving team for the Olympics is over a number of competitions. The Olympic trials are the second of three competitions, with the final selection competition in Canada and America. So in 10 days the team is off to Montreal and then Fort Lauderdale to compete in the Canadian and American Grand Prix meets. There I need to get a top 5 placing in both my synchronised events to confirm my place on the Olympic team. The team off to Canada and America is Sharleen, Melissa, Chantelle, Alex Croak, Matthew Mitcham, Scott Robertson, Mat Helm, Robert Newbery and me! It should be a great trip!
The Australian Olympic Diving team will be announced on the 27th of May.